The StreakFighter® Advantage
Defeat unsightly roof stains before they even have a chance to ruin your roof’s appearance.
How They Work
- StreakFighter® algae-resistant technology employs numerous copper-containing granules. Copper possesses natural anti-algae properties.
- Over time, the copper in the granules is gradually released to provider reliable, long-term protection against algae formation, helping your roof maintain its true luster longer.
- All CertainTeed shingles are available in an algae-resistant(AR) version that provides StreakFighter protection for a nominal cost over non-AR shingles.
Understanding Algae Streaking
Even though roof streaking is caused by blue-green algae, the streaks are black due to the dark-pigmented sheath that algae uses to protect itself from the sun’s rays. Standard roof shingles are especially susceptible to the unsightly black staining, smears, blotches, and streaks caused by algae spores.
Algae spores can quickly spread in the right conditions:
- wind carries algae spores from roof to roof
- hot, humid conditions promote algae growth
- shaded areas serve as excellent breeding grounds
Algae discoloration most often occurs on east-facing surfaces but can show up anywhere on your roof. In fact, an algae infection typically takes hold well before the black streaking is visible.
Also, the growth of algae on cool roof specialty shingles can reduce the performance of solar reflectance: as the algae spreads across the face of the shingle, it covers the reflecting granules that deflect harsh sunlight.
Designed for Unmatched Durability
CertainTeed’s StreakFighter technology uses the power of science to repel algae before it can take hold and spread. StreakFighter’s granular blend includes naturally algae-resistant copper, helping your roof maintain its curb appeal and look beautiful for years to come.
Our algae-resistant shingles carry a limited warranty against contamination from blue-green algae during the first 10 or 15 years (depending on the product). CertainTeed warrants that algae-resistant shingles will remain free from blue-green algae during this period and will pay, without proration, the reasonable cost to replace or clean the affected shingles.